Creamy Tahini Marinade:
Shiitake Mushroom Gravy:
2. While tempeh is marinating and baking, place crust ingredients in food processor and process until chopped fine.
3. Remove tempeh from oven, cover liberally with crust mixture, return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve while hot.
Creamy Tahini Marinade
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
1. Create a roux by placing spelt flour in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon filtered water and whisk until a thick paste is created. Set aside.
2. Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients except roux mixture and cook for 5 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Add roux mixture and cook until gravy has a thick consistency, approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Fusion World Cuisine by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi (Beaufort Books, 2007). Copyright 2007 by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi.