Cardamom gives this almond cake a wonderful, delicate perfume.
Leon Fast Vegan
by Rebecca Seal, Chantal Symons & John Vincent
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease the sides of a loose-bottom 9-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. If using cardamom pods, smash each one to split and release the seeds, then grind to a powder using a mortar and pestle. Put the ground cardamom into a large bowl with the flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
3. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the orange zest, then whisk together the remaining zest, the orange juice, 1/2 cup of the yogurt, 1/2 cup of the oil, the milk, and vinegar, then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined (overmixing can make cakes chewy).
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until risen, firm, and deep golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
5. If using, whisk the remaining zest into the remaining yogurt and serve with slices of the cake.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.
Recipe excerpted from Leon Fast Vegan by Rebecca Seal, Chantal Symons & John Vincent. Copyright 2019 Hachette Book Group.