- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 -inch squares
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water mixed with 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar (have an extra 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water in reserve; you may need a bit more)
1. In a medium bowl, gently combine the all-purpose flour, cake flour, salt, and butter. Butter should be left in half-inch squares. Place in the freezer until butter is hard, about 5 minutes. Dump mixture on the counter and roll over it quickly with a rolling pin, scraping off whatever adheres to the pin; repeat 2 or 3 times until the butter forms flat flakes. Scrape mixture back into bowl and add shortening in chickpea-size lumps. Freeze another 5 minutes.
2. Dump mixture on the counter and roll and scrape two more times to incorporate shortening. Return to bowl, freeze 5 minutes more. Add water-vinegar mixture to bowl; toss with a fork. Press a few tablespoons of the mixture in your hand. If it clumps, you are okay; if it crumbles, add water a teaspoon at a time until mixture clumps. Dump onto the counter and bring together with your hands. Knead only once or twice, just to form a mass that sticks together. Divide into 2 flat rounds, one just slightly larger than the other. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours before rolling.