After Marion (Janet Leigh) impulsively swindles her boss of $40,000, she skips town with the hope of starting a new life. Alas, after deciding to rest at the Bates Motel, Marion meets Norman and her end--not long after serving her dinner in a parlor festooned with ominous stuffed birds he, in one of cinema's most iconic murder scenes ever, stabs her to death in the shower. Hitch used Bosco chocolate syrup for his blood; our slashed pie, oozes with smashed black- and blueberries.
1. Pulse flour, salt and butter in a food processor until it forms a coarse meal. Pulse in water just until dough starts to get clumpy. Divide dough into 2 disks, one just slightly larger than the other then wrap disks in plastic. Chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a foil lined baking sheet on a rack in lower third of oven.
3. Roll out the larger of the two disks on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch round. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate leaving some overhang and chill. Roll out remaining disk into an 11-inch round and chill.
4. Stir together sugar, constarch, and cinnamon then stir in berries. Fill pie shell with berry mixture then set on top crust, trimming, tucking, and crimping to seal well. Slash top then brush with yolk/water mixture.
5. Bake pie on hot pan 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake until filling is bubbling and crust is golden, 30 to 45 minutes longer. If crust starts to get too dark before filling is bubbling, cover loosely with foil. Cool completely on a rack.
Gather Journal, Rough Cut Summer Film Issue, Spring/Summer 2013. Writer: Alia Akkam; photographer: Grant Cornett; recipe editor & food stylist: Maggie Ruggiero; prop stylist: Theo Vamvounakis.
"It's a whole lot easier to make your kitchen work for you than against you," says Brian Wansink, the John S. Dyson Professor of Marketing and director of the Cornell University Food and Brand Lab. "You're going to reduce how much other stuff you eat, but you're going to be doing it unconsciously." He is the author of Slim by Design.