Sandwiches can be assembled up to 2 hours in advance, and kept covered at room temperature. Toast immediately before eating.
- 4 teleras, bolillos, Portuguese buns, petite baguettes or large baguettes cut into 5- to 6-inch pieces
- 2 cups refried beans
- 2 cups, or about 8 ounces, shredded Mexican Oaxaca, or mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or a light cheddar
- Pico de Gallo salsa, or another salsa of your choice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread each piece with 3 to 4 tablespoons of refried beans and top with 3 - 4 tablespoons of grated cheese. Arrange the molletes on a baking sheet as you make them. If you want to add more toppings like ham, turkey, bacon or chorizo, sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
- 3. When ready to eat , bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread has a nice toasted crust around the edges. Eat while hot.