It may not always be so easy to find aquavit in liquor stores in the United States. Although there are many fine commercially made aquavits, I actually prefer homemade "mock" aquavit. Only then do I have the opportunity to experiment with all the flavors like aniseed, angelica, wormwood, juniper, lemon zest, curled mint, etc.
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, or more
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 whole clove
- One 1-inch cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (optional)
- One 1-liter bottle potato vodka
1. Add the spices to the vodka bottle and cover tightly. Let stand for 2 to 3 weeks, depending on how strong you want the aquavit to be. Shake the bottle every once in a while.
2. When the aquavit has reached the desired intensity of flavor, strain and discard the solids; return the aquavit to the bottle.