Some people think they don't like curry powder; they assume it's spicy--but it's spiced, not spicy. If you have those kinds of guests at a party, just call this a cheese ball and don't mention the curry until after they've eaten a whole bunch and want to know the source of the unbelievable flavor.
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- Pinch coarse salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup chopped unsalted pistachios, toasted, for coating
- Crackers or crudités, for serving
Using a stand mixer or a bowl and a spatula, mix together the cream cheese, cheddar, dates, onion, mango chutney, if using, curry powder, salt, and cayenne, if using, until combined. Form the mixture into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Before serving, roll the cheese ball in the pistachios to coat.
Serve with crackers or crudités.