I also love Australia because of food writer Jill Dupliex, who first introduced me to these delicious smashed taters years and years ago. (Thank you, Jill, for changing my life with these little treats.)
I also love Australia because of Russell Crowe. But that's another story for another time.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
3. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Using a potato masher, gently press down to mash each one. Rotate the masher 90 degrees, then mash again.
4. Drizzle the tops of the potatoes with the olive oil.
5. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and rosemary.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. These are absolutely irresistible!
Place 1/4 pat of butter on top of each smashed potato before baking.
Top each smashed potato with grated Cheddar before baking.
From The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier by Ree Drummond (William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2012). Copyright © 2012 by Ree Drummond. Photographs by Ree Drummond. All rights reserved. Used with permission of the publisher.
Adam Rapoport, editor in chief of Bon Appetit magazine and the website www.bonappetit.com, knows his way around a grill. He has edited an entire book on the subject: The Grilling Book: The Definitive Guide from Bon Appetit.