- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- 3 scallions (white and green parts), chopped
- Crumbled queso fresco (fresh, white Mexican cheese)
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil and cook the onion, bell pepper, paprika, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt until the veggies are soft, 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the tomato and chicken, and cook until the filling is heated through, stirring, about 3 minutes.
2. Warm the tortillas in moistened paper towels in the microwave for 30 seconds, or for a few seconds in a dry skillet over high heat. Stir the chipotle into the sour cream.
3. Pile the filling into the tortillas, topping with chipotle sour cream, lettuce, scallions, and queso fresco.
Reprinted from In My Kitchen by Ted Allen with Barry Rice. Copyright © 2012. Photos copyright © 2012 by Ben Fink. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc.