4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup each coarsely chopped walnuts and unsalted peanuts
1 cup hulled sunflower seeds
6 tablespoons maple syrup
6 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 cup raisins and chopped dates
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF (150ºC).
2. Mix oats, nuts, and seeds in a large bowl.
3. Combine syrup and oil in a small bowl and microwave 30 seconds until warm. Pour over dry oat mixture.
4. Work the combined ingredients with your hands until material is uniformly moist, then spread on a lightly greased or nonstick cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden in color.
6. Cool granola to room temperature and stir in dried fruit. Store in well-sealed jars or plastic bags.
Recipe from the book Maple Sugar: From Sap to Syrup: The History, Lore, and How-To Behind This Sweet Treat.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.