Serves 4 to 6
1. Assemble the kebabs: Alternately thread the lamb cubes, zucchini, and bay leaves onto six 12- to 14-inch metal skewers, placing 3 bay leaves on each skewer.
2. Place the kebabs in a large baking pan. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, oregano, oil, and lemon juice. Pour the marinade over the kebabs, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning occasionally so they marinate evenly.
3. Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very hot. Grill the kebabs for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until medium-rare, or longer for well done. The kebabs can also be cooked in a preheated broiler.
4. Transfer kebabs to a heated serving platter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley. Serve warm with lemon wedges, Yogurt Dip, and pita bread. Discard the bay leaves as meat and vegetables are removed from the skewers while eating.
Yogurt Dip (Tzatziki)
1. Place grated cucumber in cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to release as much water as possible. In a food processor, combine the cucumber, yogurt, dill, oil, and garlic and pulse until smooth.
2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, garnish with dill and black olives.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.
From In Nirmala's Kitchen: Everyday World Cuisine by Nirmala Narine (Lake Isle Press, 2006). Copyright 2006 by Nirmala Narine.