Muddled sage leaves echo the herbaceous flavors of gin and the astringency of grapefruit in this elegant cocktail.
- 6 medium sage leaves
- 1/4 or one large lemon, cut into 2 wedges
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 ounces gin
- 4 ounces fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 twists of grapefruit peel for garnish
1. Put the sage leaves, lemon wedges, and sugar in a cocktail shaker and crush them together with about a dozen determined strokes of a cocktail muddler or the end of a slender rolling pin or wooden spoon.
2. Add the gin, grapefruit juice, and a large scoop of ice cubes. Cap and shake vigorously.
3. Strain into 2 martini glasses and garnish with the grapefruit peel twists.