1. Preheat oven to 200 F. Pour at least five inches of oil into saucepan or deep fryer. Be sure to leave several inches at top, because the oil will bubble vigorously when the fish is introduced. Heat oil to 370 F.
2. Wash fish fillets and dry with paper. Slice fillets in half crosswise. Dip them in beaten egg and then coat with matzo meal.
3. Carefully place fillets in hot oil. Do not use more than two fillets at a time, because this will bring down oil temperature.
4. Cook fish until a deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, sprinkle with coarse salt. Keep fish warm in oven.
1. Peel potatoes and cut into chips about the size of your index finger. Soak in cold water while fish is cooking.
2. When fish is done, drain potatoes and slowly place one-third of them in hot oil.
3. Cook potatoes until golden brown and crispy, about five minutes. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, sprinkle with coarse salt. Place potatoes in oven. Repeat process with two remaining batches of potatoes.
Serve fish with chips on plate or newspaper. Sprinkle fish with either fresh lemon juice or (preferably) malt vinegar.