A couple of Deadheads in Maine sent us a postcard with a name for a new flavor. They left the recipe up to us. We got to work with some fresh Bing cherries and threw in the chocolate flakes as a last minute inspiration.
- 1/4 cup shaved plain chocolate (we prefer Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate candy bars)
- 1/4 cup fresh Bing cherries, halved and pitted (you may use canned cherries, but be sure to drain the syrup)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
1. Place the shaved chocolate flakes and the cherries in separate bowls. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
3. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the chocolate and the cherries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.