Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min, divided stove and oven
Total time: About an hour
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 (9-oz.) pkgs. frozen cut green beans
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 (2.8-oz.) can French fried onions, divided
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce/li>
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce (or more, to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. (2 oz.) chopped pecans (toasted if you like)
- Cook the green beans in a medium saucepan according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent.
- While the onions are sauteing, clean the mushrooms, halve the small ones and quarter the large ones. Add them to the translucent onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they give up their liquid and most of it has cooked off.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the soup and the milk into the onion mixture. Add about half the can of fried onions, then stir in the Worcestershire, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper and pecans.
- Stir in the green beans and adjust seasonings. Turn the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish and bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining half-can of onions over the top of the mixture and bake an additional 5 minutes.