Prep time: About 1 1/2 hours
Cook time: 16 min
Total time: About 1 hour 45 min
Yield: 8 buns
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups (1 pint) fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- Sugar for sprinkling
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Let stand until mixture begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Place in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add shortening, yeast and water, eggs and vanilla and beat until dough is smooth. Let stand while preparing filling.
- Mix filling ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Add flour whenever dough threatens to stick. Cut dough into pieces 5 inches square. Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of square, then fold dough over on top and pinch to close. Pinch ends closed. Cover buns with a towel and let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake until browned, about 16 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.