Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
Total time: 10 min
Yield: 4 servings
A round of “Kumbaya,” anyone? Even when campfire is swapped for grill, these iconic outdoor sweet treats are still the ultimate, undefeated crowd pleaser, intoning young hearts, be free tonight with every ooey-gooey mouthful!
- 4 whole vegan graham crackers, broken in half
- 1â„2 cup chopped vegan chocolate OR
- 4 thin squares of vegan chocolate
- 4 vegan marshmallows
- Heat the grill to medium. Prepare four 12-inch-square sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Place a graham cracker half at the center of a sheet of foil. Divide the chopped chocolate or chocolate squares among the four graham crackers. Place a marshmallow on each chocolate layer. Cover with the remaining cracker halves.
- Bring the foil sides up and around each stack, then doublefold the top and both ends to seal each packet. Don’t seal too tightly.
- Place each packet on the grill. Cover the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully open one of the packets after 4 minutes to see if the marshmallow has melted, as it should. Serve at once.
- Or, go traditional, using a long stick to toast the marshmallows over a campfire until golden brown (or charred, if your prefer), and then build your s’more from there.
- Note: While vegan s’mores take a little advance planning, they are so worth it. Vegan marshmallows, which don’t contain gelatin, are available at www.sweetandsara. com, among other sites. And the best part is they react to flame just as regular marshmallows do, tanning and even charring, if desired. Sweet & Sara also offers vegan graham crackers. Vegan chocolate is widely available, including online at www.veganessentials.com.