Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour cooking plus pumpkin cooking time.
Yield: Makes one 9-inch pie
From Chef Mark Reinfeld's menu for A Holiday Vegan Feast:
- 1 pre-made 9-inch pie crust
- 1 medium pumpkin (1-3/4 cups cooked)
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sucanat or organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon clove powder
- Dairy-Free Maple Whip (recipe follows)
Dairy-Free Maple Whip:
- 12.3 ounces silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch cardamom powder
- Pinch cinnamon powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Place face down on a well oiled or parchment paper lined baking pan. Bake until a knife easily goes through the skin and the flesh of the pumpkin, approximately 45 minutes.
- 2. Scoop out 1-3/4 cups pumpkin, place in food processor or blender with remaining ingredients and process or blend until smooth.
- 3. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake until top is firm to touch, approximately 1 hour. Filling may puff up and rise above crust line as it bakes. It will fall back down as it cools.
Dairy-Free Maple Whip
- 1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.