Wine: Merlot, preferably from Grave
Ingredients for Polenta With Five Flavors (Mosaico di Sapori Nostrani)
2. Once all of the ingredients are at hand, melt the butter in a small frying pan. Add the garlic and swirl until the butter takes on the garlic fragrance.
3. Add the mushrooms and sauté actively just until they are soft and have yielded any of their liquid.
4. Then toss in the parsley and remove the pan from the heat.
5. Pour the polenta into the middle of an ovenproof plate, forming a well in the middle.
6. Line the well with the slices of prosciutto and then add the mushroom mixture.
7. Cover this thoroughly with the slices of cheese and then place the dish in the oven.
8. Bake for about 5 minutes, or just until the cheese has melted without burning.
Adapted from La Terra Fortunata: The Splendid Food and Wine of Friuli-Venezia Giujlia, Italy's Great Undiscovered Region by Fred Plotkin (Broadway Books, 2001).
Adam Rapoport, editor in chief of Bon Appetit magazine and the website www.bonappetit.com, knows his way around a grill. He has edited an entire book on the subject: The Grilling Book: The Definitive Guide from Bon Appetit.