This classic Vietnamese dipping sauce is tangy, salty, spicy, and pungent. If you use fish sauce, it will be clear, and if you use anchovy paste it will be a bit cloudy. Since fish sauce is made from anchovies, the flavor is the same. Either way you go, Nuoc Cham is a tangy complement to Shrimp and Mango Summer Rolls
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce, or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Combine the vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.