Beguiling as a French fry, but with so much more charisma (mango, lime and chile deserve nomination as a hallowed culinary trinity), these are what you want to have on hand when time is short and a big meal is looming, They are just enough to rev up the appetite for the feats to come.
These are best cut no more than 6 hours ahead and refrigerated (put the jicama in water to keep it from browning). Season them shortly before serving.
- 1 medium jicama (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch by 3-inch sticks
- 2 medium firm ripe mangoes(about 1 1/2pounds) peeled and cut into 1/2 by 3-inch sticks
- Juice of a medium lime
- Generous pinch salt
- About 1 teaspoon ground pure chile, medium to hot depending upon your taste
1. Spread out the jicama and mango sticks and sprinkle with the lime juice. Then dust with a little salt and the chile, turning the pieces so each side gets a bit of seasoning.
2. Serve them clustered in paper cones or small glasses.