Prep time: 10 min, plus chilling time
Cook time: 10 min
Total time: 20 min active
Yield: 3-4 servings
Life doesn’t get much sweeter than a grill surrounded by good friends and laughter, and topped with these Italian inspired focaccia burgers. Here, fresh mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, sundried tomatoes, and other ingredients belt out an opera of flavors we can all sink our teeth into.
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 to 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, as needed
- 1â„2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1â„4 cup vegan egg substitute
- 1â„2 cup roughly chopped white mushrooms
- 1â„2 cup roughly chopped red onion
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1â„2 cup roughly chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1â„4 cup well-chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Vegan focaccia bread, for serving
- Note: If you can’t find focaccia, grill up some vegan whole wheat pita bread instead and proceed.
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the focaccia. Pulse until just coarsely chopped, adding more oatmeal as needed (start with 1 cup), until the mixture holds together when you make a patty.
- Chill the mixture for an hour. Shape into patties about 1â„2 inch thick and about 4 inches in diameter. Chill the patties on a plastic wrap-covered platter for at least 3 hours.
- Heat a broiler and a grill to medium-high. Broil the patties about 5 inches from the heat source for 4 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned (watch them closely, as times may vary), checking to make sure the ingredients are holding together well. Broiling first will help to prevent them from falling apart on the grill. Using a grilling screen if desired, transfer the patties to the heated grill and grill for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.
- Serve at once, with the focaccia bread.