Serve this on toasted pita wedges or over raw vegetable leaves, such as endive.
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp. Mastiha crystals, pounded
- 2 1/2 cups green olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked baby lentils, drained
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or fresh coriander
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Belgian endives, trimmed and broken into leaves (about 20 leaves)
- Lemon zest cut into julienne for garnish
- Small parsley sprigs for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Finely chop the almonds and garlic in a food processor and remove to a bowl. Add the olives, Mastiha, and lentils, and toss to combine. Mix in the lemon zest, parsley or coriander, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and stir to combine well. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon of tapenade into each of the endive leaves. Garnish with lemon zest and parsley leaves and serve.