An oven-roasted potato pancake with a few new twists. Try substituting rutabaga, turnips, parsnips or white potatoes for a quarter of the yams. And do use organic ingredients if at all possible. Serve this as a main dish with a salad or as a side dish with grilled pork or eggplant, and salad of fresh cabbages.
- 2 large yams,peeled and sliced into very thin rounds
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 4 to 5 black Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- shredded zest of a large orange
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a generous handful of tart greens (spinach, curly endive, salad mix), chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh hot red chile
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala (Indian spice blend)
- 1/2 cup whole parsley leaves for garnish.
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a large cookie sheet or half sheet pan. Toss all ingredients together in a bowl, using only enough olive oil to barely moisten everything. Spread in a single layer on the sheet.
- 2. Roast 10 minutes, turn over potato slices and cook another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. If more browning is desired, run under broiler for a few minutes. Serve hot.