Did I say I didn't eat seafood? Well, this is my recipe but my mother always says catfish doesn't count because it's "pond food, not seafood." I do love a good fish fry with crispy cornmeal-breaded catfish filets, finished off with Hush Puppies and Vinegar Slaw.
1. Pour the oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Line a plate with paper towels and set it aside.
2. Place the cornmeal in a medium-size bowl and stir in the salt and pepper until combined.
3. Dredge the filets in the cornmeal mixture to coat on both sides.
4. Reduce the heat to medium. Place the filets in the skillet and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 5 to 6 minutes, then transfer them to the paper towel–lined plate to drain.
5. Serve the filets hot with the lemon wedges, vinegar, and/or tartar sauce.
Reprinted with permission from Come Home to Supper: Over 200 Casseroles, Skillets, and Sides (Desserts, Too!) to Feed Your Family with Love by Christy Jordan.
Since moving to the U.S. decades ago, Sruthi Pinnamaneni has been searching for American-made buffalo milk products. "There's just not enough buffalo milk to make them," she says. Steve Smith, who runs a buffalo dairy in Colorado, and Raffaele Mascolo, who brings milk to the U.S. from Italy, are two people who hope to change that.