Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: Makes 12-15 muffins
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus additional for greasing muffin cups
- 1/2 pound cracklin's or cooked bacon, diced
- 1. Grease 16 muffin cups very generously with one tablespoon of butter and put the muffin tin in an oven. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees, and allow the grease to melt in the cups as you prepare the batter and the oven heats.
- 2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- 3. Mix eggs and milk in a separate bowl.
- 4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredeints. Add the milk-egg mixture and blend using as few strokes as possible - 10 to 15, max. Stir in melted butter and cracklin's, mixing only until barely blended.
- 5. Ladle the batter into the hot muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 6. Turn muffins onto a rack to cool. Serve warm.