This Souffle is better without flour, because the chocolate has enough body to hold the egg whites. More than any other souffle, the chocolate souffle should not be overcooked but slightly wet in the center. Serve hot right out of the oven with the sauce or let it cool, unmold and serve in wedges like a cake with or without a sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks (reserve the whites for the souffle)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons good dark rum
Place the milk, cornstarch and vanilla in a saucepan. Mix with a whisk and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture is light, fluffy and pale yellow. Pour the boiling milk all at once directly on top of the yolks whisking to combine well. The hot milk will cook the egg yolks. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool. When cold, add the rum.
- 4 large eggs at room temperature, separated, plus the 3 egg whites leftover from the sauce
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or 3 ounces sweet and 1 bitter)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
1. Butter and sugar a 6-cup souffle mold and refrigerate until ready to use. Place the chocolate in a saucepan with the milk and melt on top of the stove. Stir until it comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk the yolks in. Beat the 7 egg whites until they reach a soft peak and add the sugar. Keep beating for about 1 minute until very stiff.
2. Whisk about one-third of the mixture into the chocolate. Pour the chocolate mixture back onto the beaten egg whites.
3. Carefully fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites, then pour into the souffle mold. It should reach the rim of the mold. At this point, the souffle can be kept for a good hour, refrigerated or at room temperature.
4. Place on a cookie sheet in a preheated 375-degree oven and cook for 18-20 minutes. The souffle should be moist in the center. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately with the rum sauce around.
5. You can leave the souffle to deflate and cool overnight and then unmold it, cut into wedges and serve with sweetened whipped cream or with the rum sauce. It will have the consistency of a very light cake.