This is good warm and cool and keeps in the refrigerator for a day or two.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed (leave unpeeled if organic)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 canned tomato
- 1 bay leaf, broken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- Three 14-ounce cans chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium to large onion, coarse chopped (if organic, trim away root but leave skin)
- 1/2 large celery stalk with leaves, coarse chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot, coarse chopped (leave unpeeled if organic)
1. In a 4-quart pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Strain the broth into a bowl or a storage container. Either use it right away, refrigerate it, or freeze it.