Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 35 min
Yield: 4 servings
p>Persia inspired these carrots that are savory, but become sweet by eliminating the garlic and increasing the apricots (serve for dessert with sour cream or whole milk yogurt sweetened with honey).
- 2 pounds organic carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick chunks
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup diced, dried apricots
- Shredded zest of 1 lemon
- 6 large garlic cloves, diced
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup shelled and lightly crushed salted pistachios
- 1. In a 12-inch skillet, combine everything (start with 1 cup water) but the butter, lemon juice and pistachios. Bring to a simmer, cover, and gently cook about 8 minutes, or until carrots are barely tender. Add more water if necessary.
- 2. Uncover and boil until carrots are cooked through and the liquid becomes a glaze. (You could stop here, cover the carrots and hold them at room temperature an hour or so, or refrigerate overnight, then reheat).
- 3. Taste for seasoning, then stir in the butter. Turn into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice and pistachios.