2. Butter both sides of bread slices, place on tin foil, and put into oven. Toast slices on both sides.
3. Place raisins in bowl of hot water to plump. Cover, soak for 20 minutes, and drain.
4. Combine sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
5. Break up toasted bread, and put in casserole dish. Add drained raisins. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir.
6. Bake 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Jeremy Bailenson, founding director of Stanford University's Virtual Human Interaction Lab, is studying whether the experience of being a virtual cow will make people feel more empathy. "[Our previous work] showed that if you had occupied the avatar of another person, you showed empathy toward them," Bailenson says. "But no one had ever tried this with another species."