2. Butter both sides of bread slices, place on tin foil, and put into oven. Toast slices on both sides.
3. Place raisins in bowl of hot water to plump. Cover, soak for 20 minutes, and drain.
4. Combine sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
5. Break up toasted bread, and put in casserole dish. Add drained raisins. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir.
6. Bake 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Raghavan Iyer is a bestselling cookbook author, culinary educator, spokesperson and consultant who specializes in Indian cuisine. In this installment of The Key 3, he shares the techniques behind three of his classic recipes: Smoky Yellow Split Peas, Sweet-scented Pilaf and Indian Slaw.