- 2 pounds pencil-slim asparagus (organic preferred), trimmed of tough stems
- Simmering salted water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons good tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup snipped chives
- 1 tightly-packed tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash the asparagus spears well to rid them of sand.
2. Fill a 12-inch skillet two-thirds full of water and add about 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a simmer. Drop in the asparagus and cook 1-2 minutes. After 1 minute, test stalks with a knife - you want them to have some resistance, to be slightly crisp. Drain the asparagus immediately in a colander. Rinse with cold running water to cool.
3. Lay out asparagus on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil, herbs, salt, and pepper. Roll gently to coat. Serve at room temperature.